Facts About Alopecia Barbae
One form of Alopecia Areata that affects only male population is called Alopecia Barbae. It appears in a form of bald patches on the beard. It can be very stressful, especially for people who have their beard and consider it to be a part of their personality. Seeing patches of hair missing can be a shocking experience. The main concern of the men affected is how they are going to be perceived in the society, if they are going to be seen as less healthy and desirable and it can be very stressful.
Like all the forms of Alopecia Areata, this type also is caused by autoimmune disorder, when immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles, producing antibodies that cause stopping hair growth and making it to fall out. The size of patches can vary. It goes from nickel to quarter size. The hair around the patch is weak and easy to pull. The patches can sometimes be painful or you can have a burning feeling on that spot.
There has been a research that made scientists believe that it is genetically predetermined, so people who have someone in the family suffering from this condition are more likely to have it themselves. Patches appear very quickly. At first you might not even pay attention to it. Most people get worried later on when the patch gets bigger. The sooner you get treated; there is greater chance of growing it back.
Here are some of the treatments available, so you can get the picture of the options:
- 5% Minoxidil to stimulate hair growth. It can help in some cases, but there is not a high percentage rate of regrowth rate with alopecia barbae cases.
- Daily application of a steroid cream on the beard patch or steroid injections every 4-6 weeks during a 6 months period. There is an adverse effect of steroids – it can cause permanent beard patch and skin sensitivity, since it becomes thin and vulnerable.
- Third option is a combination of the previous two, since it appears that Minoxidil increases the action of the steroids.
There are also natural treatments that you can consider:
- Use of essential oils has showed significant success rate with people with this condition. The mixture consists of thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedar wood essential oils in a mixture of carrier oils (jojoba and grape seed). There were no side effects after the application of the essential oils, but there are some people that might have allergic reactions to it.
- Onion Juice can also help and there was significant improvement with the people who used it. There was a study where 86.9% of the observed people noticed hair regrowth within six weeks period. Success rate was even bigger among males.
- Marbo Activator: It is a natural formula that activates growth of new hair on thinning and bald regions. This product can be effectively used for loss of all body and facial hair. Using regularly Marbo Activator stimulates new hair growth on thinning scalp and bald regions, while your hair becomes firmer and healthier.
There are many treatments on the market, conventional and unconventional. It’s important not to choose the treatment yourself, but to ask for professional help and advice from your doctor, who will give you the best one for you, just be sure to follow the instructions he gives you.